You have made the brave and life-enhancing decision to journey to Black Rock City! I may not know you, but I'm soooo excited for you!
In the spirit of service, this is a list of the tricks and hacks for virgins and veterans alike. These are the secrets you ought to know and likely won’t find anywhere else. Welcome to our dusty family!
It’s an honor to have you,
PS. Tag your virgin friends!!
- Don’t research TOO much before coming or look at pictures from previous Burns. Let yourself experience it anew the first time. I really pray I’m there to see the look on your face the first night you walk into the Playa. If not physically, I’ll be with you in spirit.
- READ THE 10 PRINCIPLES!!!!! (https://bit.ly/2GXhEmD) Like, REALLY really read them.
- This year’s theme is ‘Robots’, and it’s the topic BM is asking us to consider. Much of the art will be centered around this theme. No, this doesn’t mean you have to dress like a Robot (unless you want to). Read more here: https://burningman.org/event/brc/2018-art-theme-i-robot/
- If you run into someone more than once (out of 70,000), stop and talk to them... Spirit has them delivering an important message to you!
- FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON’T USE YOUR PHONES (unless on airplane mode to take pics, yet even that is taking you out of the moment). DON’T TEXT PEOPLE TO MAKE PLANS!!!!! YOU WIIIILLLLLLL LOOSE THE MAGIC OF WHAT BM HAS TO OFFER YOU. LEAVE YOUR F*CKING PHONE ALONE AND AT HOME. Consider bringing a camera instead. (Yes, I’m upset… Phones are RUINING the Flow of BM)
- Gifting is a huge part of the experience, bring something, anything that you think would be a nice contribution. If you don’t, fret not, you get a pass your first time!
- Follow the music, your heart and your gut… NOT the people or the party!!!
- ‘Saxaphone’ is a code word for ‘I need a moment to myself and am called to separate from the group to follow my Flow’. Let your friends know the word and don’t be afraid to use it. (Thank you, Daniel Claussen)
- Don’t be precious about your cleanliness. Let go. Playa dust makes everyone pretty!
- There are only 2 things to purchase on the Playa: ice and coffee. BRING ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING ELSE WITH YOU.
- Eat well. Don’t skip available meals. Carry a snack (protein bars are good) in case of emergency to avoid glycemic disasters.
- Hydrate constantly. Bring water canteen with you always. No plastic bottles! Plastic is evil for the environment and when heated, will leach hormone mimickers (yuk!).
- Electrolytes capsules are the best! (also see my List of Must-Haves Below) http://amzn.to/2wjHEmq
- Log on to Burner Maps and let people know where you’re staying so you can try and find each other! https://burnermap.com/welcome.php
- There are cops and rangers everywhere on the Playa. Be low key about your drug use (should you use them) and share everything BUT drugs with strangers. THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT AND A MUST READ FOR ALL… How to deal with the cops: https://burners.me/2014/08/17/prepare-for-the-playa-police/
- Keep a paper copy of your ID on you at all times.
- MOOP is BM for ‘Matter Our Of Place’, and it is NOT tolerated even one little bit. Don’t pee in the dirt, don’t spill water, no cig butts (buy a Juul!), no sparkles, no feathers, none of it! Pick up all found trash, EVEN IF IT’S NOT YOURS.
- Bring ear plugs and eye masks in case you need to sleep during the day, which is likely.
- The Playa dust is super alkaline and can be irritating to skin. You’ll want to clean your hands and feet regularly with wipes, witch hazel or diluted white vinegar.
- See a few sunrises, and definitely don’t miss the sunset. You can always go to bed early and wake up for sunrise!
- Pack 2 of anything you can't live without (water bottle, goggles etc).
- Pack a "go home" outfit including shoes, and put in a ziploc bag, then another ziploc bag. Label "HOME", do not open until after first post-Playa shower.
- Here’s a basic packing list: https://survival.burningman.org/your-su…/survival-checklist/
- Find a guy named Matty Mo and give him a big hug.